Poland | Srodborze, Kochanow | Teaching kids compassion towards animals
This year we continue to meet children during summer camps to teach them about animal welfare. Like in previous times, our training includes a theoretical part in the form of a presentation, and a practical part based on the everyday work of our farriers.
During the theoretical training, the young animal enthusiasts learn about the concept of five freedoms and responsible animal ownership:
- Freedom from hunger or thirst by ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain full health and vigour
- Freedom from discomfort by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area
- Freedom from pain, injury or disease by prevention or rapid diagnosis and treatment
- Freedom to express (most) normal behaviour by providing sufficient space, proper facilities and company of the animal's own kind
- Freedom from fear and distress by ensuring conditions and treatment which avoid mental suffering
Our lecture raises many questions and stories about the children`s experiences. Some of them are funny, others reveal the kids’ sensibility.
During the practical part we demonstrate how to clean and take care of the hooves of horses. We also explain the importance of correct horse handling and difference between domestic and wild horses. We believe such meetings will benefit animals in the future, and these children will grow up to be reasonable and empathetic adults.